Please note: ALL documents/requirements must be completed in order to reserve a Baptism date at Saint Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church.
We request that parents collect all documents at home, and bring them personally to the Parish Office when ready to discuss Baptism dates and make reservations.
Member Requirements for Parents:
- Be a registered member of St. Thomas the Apostle Parish or
- Provide a Letter of Permission from your current parish.
Parent Baptism Class:
- Attend a Parent Baptism Class at St. Thomas the Apostle Parish or
- Provide a letter of attendance to class at another parish.
As part of the process of preparation for baptism, it is necessary to bring the original birth certificate of your child to the Parish Office.
We will make copies of this document and review any other requirements necessary for the Baptism at that time.
Older Children (1st and 2nd graders only)
Please call 770-432-8579, Ext. 101 for information about their baptismal preparation.
Children in 1st and 2nd grade will be required to attend a Baptismal Class specially designed for children their age.
Parents must complete a Baptismal Class and Godparents must comply with all requirements established by the Archdiocese of Atlanta as stated above.
Older Children (3rd graders through 8th graders)
Please contact the Director of Religious Education at 770-432-8579, Ext. 112 for information about their baptismal preparation.
Permission to Baptize Elsewhere:
Call or stop into the parish office to provide the information needed:
- Date of participation in Parent Baptism Class or proof of attendance if you attended at a different parish
- Child’s name
- Name of parish where baptism will take place
- City, State of that parish
- Date of Baptism
- FAX# or address of the church where the Baptism will take place
- Name of contact person at that parish
- It is acceptable to chose only one godparent for your child; however, that one person must be an active, practicing Catholic. This sponsor must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (one who has received the sacraments of Baptism, First Eucharist and Confirmation)and
- Be married by the Church or living single
- If you desire to have two godparents, then Cannon Law requires that there be one male and one female. Of the two godparents, at least one must be an active, participating Catholic who meets the requirements listed above. The other Godparent may be a Christian.
If both Godparents are Catholic, they must comply with the requirements listed above.
- Your Catholic godparent (or godparents, if both are Catholic), must either be registered members here at St. Thomas or
- Provide a Sponsor Certificate (letter of good standing) from the parish where they are members.
- The Sponsor Certificate, along with any other support documents (i.e. Marriage Certificate by the Church) must be mailed to parents and then brought to the Parish Office in person.
- Godparents are often from out-of-town. If they are unable to be present on the day of the Baptism, they can be represented by proxy. A proxy can be a family member, a friend or a parishioner who will stand in for your official godparent on the day of the baptism.
- On this joyful occasion, it would be most encouraged to make a financial offering to the parish in thanksgiving for the gift of your child’s Baptism. A generous monetary gift back to God would be appropriate and very appreciated.
- Please prepare your donation ahead of time by placing it in an envelope with the name of the child who is baptized on the outside with the date of baptism. Please give it to the Priest or Deacon after the Rite of Baptism. Remember to collect your child’s Baptismal Certificate at that point.
- If the offering is a check, please make it out to St. Thomas the Apostle Parish. This offering will be noted in the parishioner’s record of donations.
- If your child was adopted, it is necessary to present the adoption decree, which includes the name of the court that entered the adoption order and the date of the order. A copy will be made.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early on the day of the Baptism in order to receive instructions for your participation in the ceremony. Look for a Minister of Hospitality (someone who is wearing a badge) or await for instructions in the Commons Area (lobby) of the church.