“Adult Catholics must be mature in faith and well equipped to share the Gospel, promoting it in every family circle, in every church gathering, in every place of work, and in every public forum. They must be women and men of prayer whose faith is alive and vital, grounded in a deep commitment to the person and message of Jesus.” Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us (USCCB 1999).
The Office of Adult Faith Formation of St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church joins the United States Bishops in the continued response to the call of Vatican II to make the Church’s mission our own. We do so by offering a variety of programs to enrich adult Catholics in their faith formation and to prepare adult Catholics for lay ministry in the Church.
Are you searching for…
- A deeper relationship with God?
- An encounter with Jesus Christ?
- A sense of belonging in a Christian community?
- A greater fulfillment of your mission in life?
If you are, we invite you to attend our Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (R.C.I.A.) classes. Contact Linda Veit (Coordinator) for more information.
R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation of adults) is the process through which interested persons, 18 or older are gradually introduced to the Roman Catholic Church. The R.C.I.A. is a communal process and involves a number of stages punctuated by liturgical rites to aid and assist the participants toward the final rite, usually at the Easter Vigil, at which time they will become full members of the Roman Catholic Church. Every year adults are welcomed into the Catholic Community through R.C.I.A.
Participants in past R.C.I.A. classes have come from many different backgrounds, yet all have a common interest in learning about the Catholic Faith. Classes are held each year from September through Easter.
The RCIA is a journey of faith through:
- Rite of Acceptance
- Catechumenate- (Teaching)
- Living the Word- (Scriptures)
- Period of Purification
- Period of Enlightenment
- Rite of Election
- Easter Vigil
- Living the Mystery
- Doing God’s will
For a complete list of R.C.I.A. activities, click SCHEDULE on the menu on the left.
The RCIA is for adults who:
- Are interested in learning more about the Catholic Church.
- Have never celebrated Baptism.
- Have celebrated Baptism in another faith and are interested in the Catholic Church.
- Are baptized Catholics who have not yet received Eucharist or Confirmation.
- Are married to a Catholic and attend Mass but just don’t know what the next step is to become one of the Catholic faithful.